Dr. Maria Ana Cataluna
- European Research Council (ERC)
- The Royal Society of Edinburgh
- AcademiaNet member since 03.12.2018
- AcademiaNet- Selection Criteria
- Engineering, manufacturing and construction
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Natural sciences, mathematics and statistics
Engineering and engineering trades , Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs), Physical sciences
Area of specialisation
Semiconductor lasers, ultrafast photonics, semiconductor physics.
The physics and technology of semiconductor ultrafast laser diodes and photonic systems are right at the core of my research.
I am also keen to develop novel applications enabled by ultrafast photonics in imaging, sensing, spectroscopy and metrology.
Distinctions and Awards
ERC Starting Grant, European Research Council (2015-)
Philip Leverhulme Prize – Engineering (2011)
Royal Academy of Engineering/EPSRC Research Fellowship (2009 – 2014)
IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship (2007)
International PhD Studentship, Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), (2003-2007)
FCT scholarship for graduate research assistants (2002)
FCT scholarship for junior researchers (2001)
- Lectures, Membership in scientific bodies, Refereeing
- Impact of Brexit on research and higher education.
English, French, Portuguese
2008: Ultrashort-pulse generation from quantum-dot semiconductor diode lasers