Dr. Nathalie Maria Vriend
- Engineering, manufacturing and construction
- Natural sciences, mathematics and statistics
Engineering and engineering trades , Environment, Mathematics and statistics
Area of specialisation
My research focuses on the dynamics of granular materials, with a special interest in geophysical phenomena occurring in nature and engineering problems in industry. Granular materials span a range of scales, from the micro-scale in grain phenomena to the macro-scale in large systems such as avalanches and dunes. Despite their importance, granular materials remain poorly understood; due to the lack of a comprehensive physical description, mathematical tools and techniques are insufficient to fully predict behavior of granular materials in industrial and natural applications at this time.
In my research program I aim to gain a deeper understanding of the physics of granular materials across all different scales and flow regimes. My interests can be classified into the following areas:
1) wave propagation in a particulate material
2) avalanching of a granular material and
3) near-surface geophysical techniques to characterize soil, sand and geophysical mass flows.
Although I am first and foremost an experimentalist, I also employ numerical simulations to develop analytical models and to form a comprehensive picture of open research questions.
- Lectures, Management position, Membership in scientific bodies, Professorship, Refereeing