We will only use the personal data gathered over this website as set out in this policy. Below you will find information on how we use your personal data, for which purposes your personal data is used, with whom it is shared and what control and information rights you may have.
I. Summary of our processing activities
The following summary provides you with a quick overview of the processing activities that are undertaken on our website. You will find more detailed information under the indicated sections below.
• When you visit our website for informational reasons without setting up an account, only limited personal data will be processed to provide you with the website itself (see section (see section III).
• In case you register for one our services or subscribe to our newsletter, further personal data will be processed in the scope of such services (see sections IV and V).
• Furthermore, your personal data will be used for statistical analysis that helps us to improve our website (see section VII). Additionally, we improve your website experience with third party content (see section VIII).
• Your personal data may be disclosed to third parties (see section IX) that might be located outside your country of residence; potentially, different data protection standards may apply (see section X).
• We have implemented appropriate safeguards to secure your personal data (see section XI) and retain your personal data only as long as necessary (see section XII).
• Under the legislation applicable to you, you may be entitled to exercise certain rights with regard to the processing of your personal data (see section XIII).
• Personal data: means any information relating to a natural person who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, or an online identifier.
• Processing: means any operation which is performed on personal data, such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation or any kind of disclosure or other use.
III. Informational use of the website
When you visit our website for informational reasons, i.e. without registering for any of our provided services listed under IV and without providing us with personal data in any other form, we may automatically collect additional information about you which will contain personal data only in limited cases and which is automatically recognised by our server, such as:
• your IP address
• your internet service provider
• the website from which you have been directed to our offer
• your device type, screen resolution and browser version
• the date and time of your requests
• information on the offers you have visited on our website
• information on your operating system, including language settings
We use such information only to assist us in providing an effective service (e.g. to adapt our website to the needs of your device or to allow you to log in to our website), and to collect broad demographic information for anonymised, aggregated use.
The personal data automatically collected is necessary for us to provide the website, Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. b GDPR, and for our legitimate interest to guarantee the website’s stability and security, Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. f GDPR.
Personal data that is collected automatically is retained for 1 month and properly erased afterwards.
IV. Registration for our services
Some of our website’s functions, e.g. access to the academics’ contact information or the option of saving your search parameters, are only available to registered users.
With regard to the registration of an account and its subsequent use, we process
• Information (such as your name, title, your company and email address) that is provided by registration
• Information in connection with an account sign-in facility (e.g. log-in and password details)
The specific types of information required for the respective service are specified on the site. All additional information is provided on a voluntary basis.
We will process the personal data you provide to:
• Identify you at sign-in
• Provide you with the services and information offered through the website or which you request
• Administer your account; (You can store search requests and bookmark single profiles and news)
• (Potentially) communicate with you
• (Potentially) conduct market or opinion research.
For this, the legal basis is Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. b GDPR
We use the personal data and contact data you provide by registration to inform you about our additional services.
You have the option of deleting your user account at any time.
With your email address you can subscribe to our newsletter that provides you with the latest news about our products and services if you consent to receiving such. The legal basis for this processing is Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. a GDPR. Your email address will be retained as long as you subscribe to our newsletter.
This service is provided by means of a double-opt-in. Thus, you will receive an email containing a link by which you can confirm that you are the owner of the email address and wish to be notified via our email service. When your subscription is not confirmed after the confirmation mail has been requested, the personal data you provided will not be processed for any purpose and will be deleted during the next routine database clean-up. You can unsubscribe from this service by opting out via the link provided in the newsletter.
VI. Automated decision making
We do not use your personal data for automated decision making which produces legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affects you.
1. Google Analytics / Google Tag Manager / Google Tags
We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA ("Google"). On our behalf Google will use the information generated by a cookie for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity and providing other services relating to website activity and internet activity in connection with the use of the website.
We have activated the IP anonymisation within the Google Analytics service, and your IP address will be truncated within the area of member states of the European Union or other parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases the whole IP address will be first transferred to a Google server in the USA and truncated there. The IP-address your browser conveys within the scope of Google Analytics will not be associated with any other data held by Google.
The legal basis for this processing is Art. 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. f GDPR and represents our legitimate interest to analyse our website’s traffic to improve the user’s experience and to optimise the website in general.
More information: http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html?hl=de
VIII. Third party content and social media plug-ins
1. Social Media-Plug-ins
We use the following social media plug-ins: Facebook, Google+, Xing LinkedIn, Twitter. This allows you to communicate with such services and like or comment from our website. Social media plug-ins enable a direct communication between your device and the servers of the social media provider, allowing the social media provider to communicate with you and collect information about you browsing our website. This processing is based on Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. f GDPR and represents our legitimate interest to improve your website experience and to optimise our services.
To prevent the providers of social media / social sharing functions from recording and extensively analysing your visit to our site, we use our own script for Facebook, Twitter and Google+, which supplants the normal share buttons. Only by clicking on the button will your data be transferred, providing social networks with detailed information on your surfing behaviour (User Tracking). In this regard we employ "Shariff Script", which was developed by Heise.de. For further information on the script, please visit: www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Shariff-Social-Media-Buttons-mit-Datenschutz-2467514.html
With regard to other social media services, a transfer of personal data takes place, regardless of whether or not you have an account with the provider.
Please note that we neither have the control of the extent of personal data that is collected by the respective plug-in provider nor do we know the processing’s purpose or the period your personal data will be retained.
We use the "+1"-button of the social network Google Plus provided by Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States ("Google"). The button is market using the sign "+1" on a white or colored background.
If a user visits one of the websites using such a button, the user’s browser directly connects to Google’s servers. The "+1"-button and its content are loaded directly from Google’s servers and included in the website by the user’s browser. According to Google’s statements, personal data is only collected, if a user that is a Google Plus member and logged in on the network at the time of clicking on the "+1"-button.
The reason for and scope of the data acquisition and information about the way in which the data is processed and used by Google, as well as the user’s rights in this respect and settings options for protecting the users privacy can be found in Google’s privacy statement relating to the "+1"-button: http://www.google.com/intl/de/+/policy/+1button.html.
We use so-called social plugins ("plugins") of the social networking site facebook.com provided by Facebook Inc., 1601 S. California Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA ("Facebook"). The plugins can be identified by one of Facebook’s logos (white "f" on blue tile or a "thumbs-up" sign) or by the additional text "Facebook Social Plugin". The list of Facebook Social Plugins and their appearance can be accessed via:
If a user visits one of the websites using such a plugin, the user’s browser directly connects to Facebook’s servers. The plugin and its content are made available directly on Facebook’s servers and included in the website by the user’s browser.
Due to the integration of the plugin Facebook collects the information that a user is visiting the corresponding website. If the user is logged in on Facebook at the moment he or she visits the website, Facebook may be able to connect the visit on the website to the user’s Facebook account. If the user interacts with the plugin – for example if he or she presses the like button or comments on something – the user’s browser transmits this information to Facebook. Facebook stores this information. If a user is not a member of Facebook, Facebook may collect and store the user’s IP-address. Facebook states that it only collects anonymised IP addresses in Germany.
The reason for and scope of the data acquisition and information about the way in which the data is processed and used by Facebook, as well as the user’s rights in this respect and settings options for protecting the users privacy can be found under: http://www.facebook.com/policy.php
If the user is a member of Facebook and does not wish Facebook to collect personal data via this homepage and to link this with his data stored on Facebook, the user needs to log off from Facebook before going to this homepage.
The user may also block Facebook’s plugins using add-ons for the user’s browser, for example the "Facebook Blocker".
Our website uses the "share" button from the social network XING, which is operated by XING AG, Dammtorstraße 29-32, 20354 Hamburg ("XING"). By clicking on this button, you can share content from our website with your XING contacts.
When you open one of our websites that includes this button, your browser does not establish a direct connection with the XING servers. The content of the "share" button and further information on the website visited will only be sent to XING if you actively click on the button. Please be aware that we have no control over the scope of data that XING gathers by means of the button.
For further information on data privacy and XING’s "share" button, please click here: https://dev.xing.com/plugins/share_button/docs
For information on XING’s data collection, processing and use policies, please consult XING’s data privacy statement: https://www.xing.com/privacy
Our website uses the "share" button from the social network LinkedIn, which is operated by the LinkedIn Corporation, 2029 Sterling Court, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA ("LinkedIn"). When you visit our website, your browser establishes a direct connection with the LinkedIn servers via the "share" button. As a result, LinkedIn is informed that your IP address visited our website. If you click on the "share" button while logged in to your LinkedIn account, you can share content from our website on your LinkedIn profile. This allows LinkedIn to match the visit to our website with your user account.
Please be aware that we have no control over the scope of data that LinkedIn gathers by means of the button. For more information on LinkedIn’s data collection (purpose and scope), and on its further processing and use of data, please consult LinkedIn’s official data privacy information, which can be found at: https://www.linkedin.com/legal/privacy-policy
We use the twitter button. The button is provided by Twitter Inc., 795 Folsom St., Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA. ("Twitter") The buttons are marked using the text "Twitter" or "Follow" and a stylized blue bird. The button enables the user to share an article or a website of this homepage on Twitter or to follow the provider on Twitter.
If a user visits one of the websites using such a button, the user’s browser directly connects to Twitter’s servers. The Twitter-button and its content are loaded directly from Twitter’s servers and included in the website by the user’s browser. According to the provider’s knowledge, Twitter collects the user IP-address and the website’s URL when the button is loaded from Twitter’s servers. However, this data is only be used for loading and displaying the Twitter-button.
Further information can be found in Twitter’s privacy statement under: https://twitter.com/privacy.
2. External Providers
2.1. Videoservice Vimeo
We use the "Vimeo" service, provided by Vimeo, Inc., 555 West 18th Street, New York, New York 10011, USA, in order to play videos directly from our website. This processing is based on Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. f GDPR and represents our legitimate interest to improve your website experience and to optimise our services.
Our website uses YouTube’s advanced data privacy mode for embedding videos. YouTube, LLC, 901 Cherry Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066, USA is a service provided by Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA. Advanced data privacy mode ensures that no cookies are created when you open our website; YouTube only saves cookies on your computer and your IP address is only transmitted to YouTube once you click on a video embedded with YouTube. If you are logged into YouTube, personal data can also be matched to your user account. For further information on how YouTube handles personal data, please consult YouTube’s information page: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801895?hl=de
2.3. Google Maps
We use the Google Maps API, provided by Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheater Parkway, Mountain View, California, 94043, to visually show the publisher's location in the contact form. More information about data processing can be found at: http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html
3. Links to third party websites
IX. Information sharing
We may disclose your personal data to following contractors who assist us in providing the services we offer through the website
• Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH, Heidehofstr. 3, 70184 Stuttgart;
• Swiss National Science Foundation , Wildhainweg 3, Postfach, CH-3001 Bern (from January 1st 2020 onwards);
• Globalways AG, Neue Brücke 8, 70173 Stuttgart, Deutschland.
Legal basis for the transfer of your personal data is Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. b and f GDPR and represents our legitimate interest to implement our general terms and conditions of business or any other agreements concluded with you.
We may disclose anonymous aggregate statistics about users of the website in order to describe our services to prospective partners and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics will include no personal data.
In the event that we undergo re-organisation or are sold to a third party, any personal data we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organised entity or third party in compliance with applicable law.
We may disclose your personal data if legally entitled or required to do so (for example if required by law or by a court order).
X. Cross border data transfers
Within the scope of our information sharing activities set out above, your personal data may be transferred to other countries (including countries outside the EEA) which may have different data protection standards from your country of residence. Please note that data processed in a foreign country may be subject to foreign laws and accessible to foreign governments, courts, law enforcement, and regulatory agencies. However, we will endeavour to take reasonable measures to maintain an adequate level of data protection when sharing your personal data with such countries.
In the case of a transfer outside of the EEA, this transfer is safeguarded by international agreements like the EU-US Privacy Shield and EU standard contractual clauses. You can find further information about the aforementioned safeguards by contacting the Group Data Protection Officer via email@example.com.
We have reasonable state of the art security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal data under our control. For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to personal data. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via our website whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
XII. Data retention
We strive to keep our processing activities with respect to your personal data as limited as possible. In the absence of specific retention periods set out in this policy, your personal data will be retained only for as long as we need it to fulfil the purpose for which we have collected it and, if applicable, as long as required by statutory retention requirements.
XIII. Your rights
Under the legislation applicable to you, you may be entitled to exercise some or all of the following rights:
1. require (i) information as to whether your personal data is retained and (ii) access to and/or duplicates of your personal data retained, including the purposes of the processing, the categories of personal data concerned, and the data recipients as well as potential retention periods;
2. request rectification, removal or restriction of your personal data, e.g. because (i) it is incomplete or inaccurate, (ii) it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected, or (iii) the consent on which the processing was based has been withdrawn;
3. refuse to provide and – without impact to data processing activities that have taken place before such withdrawal – withdraw your consent to processing of your personal data at any time;
4. object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, that your personal data shall be subject to a processing. In this case, please provide us with information about your particular situation. After the assessment of the facts presented by you we will either stop processing your personal data or present you our compelling legitimate grounds for an ongoing processing;
5. take legal actions in relation to any potential breach of your rights regarding the processing of your personal data, as well as to lodge complaints before the competent data protection regulators;
6. require (i) to receive the personal data concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and (ii) to transmit those data to another controller without hindrance from our side; where technically feasible you shall have the right to have the personal data transmitted directly from us to another controller; and/or
7. not to be subject to any automated decision making, including profiling (automatic decisions based on data processing by automatic means, for the purpose of assessing several personal aspects) which produce legal effects on you or affects you with similar significance.
You may (i) exercise the rights referred to above or (ii) pose any questions or (iii) make any complaints regarding our data processing by contacting us using the contact details set out below.
XIV. Contacting us
The information you provide when contacting us (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be processed to handle your request and will be erased when your request is completed. Alternatively, we will restrict the processing of the respective information in accordance with statutory retention requirements.
XV. Amendments to this policy